Most home and business owners already know that a roof leak is never a good thing. It causes water damage to a vast and astonishing range of things, but there is even more to worry about if you have this issue. Here are five things that such a leak might cause, and they are all reasons why you want to work with experts in leak detection as soon as the problems emerge.
1. Most cause mold and mildew - Water seeping in through the roof doesn't just stop and dry immediately. It seeps everywhere and will quickly cause mold and mildew to develop in the attic, walls, ceilings and beyond.
2. Leaks cause structural damage - Water pouring into the attic destroys most types of insulation on contact, but also seeps into the sheet rock, paneling and even the joists and rafters. This can lead to buckling, rotting and worse.
3. There can be electrical issues - If your property has a leaking roof it means water may fall onto electrical fixtures and lines, causing a wide range of hazards
4. It may lead to higher utility bills - Cooled and heated air can leak out through the roof, insulation is ruined by water further reducing efficiency, and eventually, the damages to walls and windows causes further issues.
5. It is hazardous - A roof leak is a hazard as it allows water to pool almost anywhere, including floors, furnishings and more, leading to risks for falls and slips, and other injury.
Get the Roof Leak Addressed
Leak Locators of Florida has 24-hour, licensed, insured and bonded services for property owners in Tallahassee, and you can get in touch online or by phone at 888.899.4351 to book a visit or service call.
Leak Locators in Tallahassee FL | Non-Intrusive Leak Detection
Leak detection is a service that would be requested if you are experiencing an increase in your monthly water bill or have a drop in water pressure. There are two types of leak detection that can be performed in this situation. There is the intrusive method of cutting away materials to visibly look for a leak, or the non-intrusive method which uses technology to locate the leak.
Here at Leak Locators we make sure that we do not cause any further damage- that is why we use non-intrusive leak detection methods. Common devices used for leak detection are: Moisture Meters, Thermal Cameras and Electronic Listening Devices. All of these can be used to locate leaks without any removal.
Moisture Meters are used to detect moisture by pressing the device up against the area of concern. These meters are calibrated prior to each use to provide the most accurate readings.
Thermal Cameras are another way we can use technology to locate leaks. The camera is pointed at the area of concern and will display an image highlighting the temperature differences found. Whether there is a hot spot or cold spot, the thermal camera will pick it up.
Electronic Listening Devices are the last piece we will cover for non-intrusive leak detection. These devices have multiple attachments depending on the surface you are attempting to listen to. Once the appropriate attachment is selected, the leak technician will begin to listen for traces of a leak. These devices make a small drop sound like a waterfall and are very useful for leak detection.
For Leak Detection services in Tallahassee call: (888) 899-4351